THOMI AFRICA is a non-governmental organisation committed to women empowerment, gender equality, promoting democratic values and tackling key concerns in society. We are dedicated to promoting active citizenship, participatory democracy and building cohesive societies, targeting the needs of and empowering the underprivileged especially, women, including those most at risk of inequalities, exclusion and discrimination. We strive to be instrumental in engaging in advocacy and policy formulation, as well as raising awareness of key issues and challenges in today’s societies.
Our Mission, Vision and Core Values
THOMI AFRICA is one the leading non-profit Women’s rights- organizations, that is mainly involved in empowering women and girls, aiming for gender equality and the eradication of all forms of discrimination against women and girls’. Through empowering and mobilizing women’s participation and the contribution to the development processes, the promotion of woman’s political, economic, and civic rights and the expansion of women’s access to justice through improving psychological well-being among women and girls, and combating gender-based violence.
THOMI AFRICA was founded in January 2012 and officially registered with the Department of Social Development South Africa in 2015. Since its inception in 2012, THOMI AFRICA has left no efforts in its quest to serve the vulnerable community in general and women and children in particular, answering the urgent nation calls and advocating in fierce- at various hard conditions-for the elevation of women & girls to take and maintain its position within our community.
THOMI AFRICA has focused for many years on promoting the social, educational, economical, and political development of women & girls, and spending greater efforts in raising women’s awareness of their legal rights in order to promote their participation in the decision-making processes, protect their rights and to encourage development.
It has launched thousands of projects, which played a prominent role in offering services to women & girls and contributed to securing many working opportunities for them who were in great need of assistance, including the establishment of Kindergartens, creches, nurseries, children digital libraries, and vocational training centers, and a range of other income-generating projects.
Our mission is to attain gender-equality in a democratic society, to which end we focus our efforts on promoting the social, educational, economical, and political development of women and girl’s, including advocating for women’s rights, eliminating discrimination against women including GBV, advancing women’s capacities and leadership skills, promoting their participation in the decisions that affect their lives, and amplifying their voices for peace and security at the national and global levels.
THOMI AFRICA strives to create a future in which all women will be viewed and treated equally as men, in all aspects of life; civil, political, economic, social, and cultural. Our vision is that all women become self-sustaining and remain well recognized in their community, well respected, and truly empowered. We will also seek to continue our role as advocates of women’s rights, promoter of women’s capacities, and driving force of social change.
1. We are committed to promote gender equality and empower women and girls, and to removing any barriers that prevent full participation of women and girls in the public and political life.
2. We believe in full and inclusive participation by all and that every person, man, women or community has the right and responsibility to contribute their talents, skills and resources to the work we do, for and with them.
3. We are committed to promote full and equal access to social services, education, legal and health-care services, economic opportunities and decent work, for all women, specially marginalized women and children, they need our support to recognize their rights, achieve their basic needs; and ensure their participation in the elaboration and implementation of policies that effect their development, with full respect for their cultures, traditions and social norms.
4. We believe that community participation is an essential part of the process of good local governance, and community development. Therefore we consider participatory approaches as an critical instruments of our organisation.
5. We are committed to work with marginalized communities, improve their lives, alleviate their suffering and develop a vision for change that will make a meaningful difference in their lives.
6.We consider partnership as one of our key organizing principles, we are, therefore, committed to developing, maintaining, and nurturing partnerships, including alliance and linkages- with institutions and individuals who identify our vision and mission.